Spanish

My photo
My daughter Maria is working with me. She is very sharp and is totally fluent in written and spoken Spanish. Maria will be licensed soon. Si habla Espanol!

Monday, September 1, 2008

Motorcycle Safety


Drivers are switching to motor cycles(scooters) to save $$$. Even as the overall rate of auto deaths is declining, more cyclists are dying or becoming disabled. The best motorcycle driver can be a victim!

In most cycle death crashes the car or truck pulls from a side street or parking lot or makes a left turn into the path of the cycle. WHY? Because the car driver is not looking for anything smaller than a 2 door car and just does not see the bike. Daytime running lights on cars obscure the motorcycles, so that cycle lights-on is just not enough! Loud mufflers can not save you either.

Many years ago I put out a man on fire from a cycle/van crash. The van turned in front of him! He did not have a chance. The cycle driver was coated with gas from head to toe. He died! The van driver said: "I'm sorry, I did not see him." Well I'm sorry does not kick it! But I am sure sorry I put out the fire and kept him in misery for so long!

If a motorcycle has only has one headlight, you can improve safety by adding more headlights and/or a headlight mondulator. What does the modulator do? In the daylight hours, when you are most at risk, it causes your headlight to rapidly modulate from dim to bright and back to dim. Drivers notice the flashing light and give you your space. A federal study indicates it is best to have 3 headlights on a motorcycle. This increases the auto driver awareness of the cycle's presence on the highway. In my estimation a combination of the extra headlights plus a headlight modulator would be best.

A proper moudulator is legal in all 50 states and Canada. One legal model is Kisan PathBlazer found at URL: http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?item=PB.

It costs less than $200 for most motorcycles, plus installation. It saved one cycle driver from me. I was crossing a road in with the sun in my eyes. At the last moment I noticed the flashing headlight and I stopped. This was 20 years ago. Since then I have only seen 3 modulators. One was mine and one was the lead police motorcycle in the funeral service moving President Regan's body to his library.

Is your life worth $200?

PS. Without a helmet, you are always at a much higher risk for severe injury or death, even when stopped. We had a cyclist killed when his cycle tipped over and he was not even moving! I have only had one person die in an auto incident in 41 years. There have been 6 motorcycle drivers or passengers!

No comments: